South Shields Local History Group

Under Construction

03 – Railway/Waterfront

The Railway was originally called the Brighton Beach and it was first mentioned as a pub in 1821 when George Marchbank was the licensee.

It became The Railway in 1844 named after the Low Station which was just behind the pub.  It was rebuilt about 1890.

The Railway, 1983 (Lubi, South Tyneside Libraries, STH0004624)

It was a Tetley’s pub this was never a popular brewery in South Shields compared to Scottish and Newcastle.

The Railway, 1980s (Bardwell, South Tyneside Libraries, STH0003568)

Harry and Isobel Mallett were very popular mine hosts of the Railway between 1987 and 1996.

1989 (Ron Lawson, Sunderland Antiquarian Society)

It closed about 1997 and then became The Waterfront in 2001.

The Railway is called The Mil Dam now.

Licensing Records
Terry Ford
Trade Directories

Ron Lawson, Sunderland Antiquarian Society
South Tyneside Libraries
Terry Ford

error: This content is protected.