South Shields Local History Group

Under Construction

South Marine Park

The park was designed by Matthew Hall, the Borough’s surveyor and engineer.

South Marine Park 1913 (Postcard South Tyneside Libraries)

John Peebles was appointed head gardener in 1886 and immediately set about creating the park that we know today out of the old waste spoil tips, or ‘ballast hills’. Remarkably, his diary, in which he reported on progress in the park every month to the Parks Committee, has survived. This diary proved to be an invaluable resource when planning the park’s restoration. The Park construction cost £20,000 and was opened by Sir John Mowbray, an Ecclesiastical Commissioner and formerly MP for Durham on 25 June 1890.

South Marine Park – 2022
South Marine Park

South Tyneside Libraries
Terry Ford

error: This content is protected.