South Shields Local History Group

Under Construction

07 – Coach and Horses

In 1839 it was called the Brick and Tile because of its close proximity to the nearby brickworks.  In 1846 it became The Coach & Horses, this was on the corner of King Street and Waterloo Vale. It was a mail posting station and hence where the pub’s name derives from. 

In the Wards 1873-74 Trade Directory W. Davis is licensee at 65 King Street. By 1875 Peter Gaffiney is operating as a “Bacon Factor” from 65 King Street and the pub ceases to exist.

Site of Coach & Horses, 1875 (South Tyneside Libraries, STH0005657)

In about 1900 it became the old Midland Bank, it bears a passing resemblance to the Addams Family House!

Midland Bank, 1903 (South Tyneside Libraries, STH0000759)

In the 1930s it became a shop called Weaver to Wearer, then in the 1970s it became the men’s fashion shop called John Temple it then became Greenwood’s Menswear.

It is now a furniture shop called Welcome Home.

British Newspaper Archives
Licensing Records
Terry Ford
Trade Directories

South Tyneside Libraries
Terry Ford

error: This content is protected.