South Shields Local History Group

Under Construction

04 – Locomotive/Steamboat

The first Licensing record for the Locomotive Inn dates back to 1850 with Emmanuel Hayton the licensee. Maria Pike held the licence in 1856.

Locomotive, c1950 (Ron Lawson, Sunderland Antiquarian Society)

On the 4th December 1947 it changed its name from “Locomotive Inn” to “The Locomotive”

1970s (Ron Lawson, Sunderland Antiquarian Society)

It changed its name from The Locomotive to The Steamboat in the late 1970s.

1983 (Lubi, South Tyneside Libraries, STH0004507)
1989 (Ron Lawson, Sunderland Antiquarian Society)

Joe Mooney was the Landlord from about 1990 for over 30 years.

Joe Mooney, 2019 (Terry Ford)

The pub extended into the old Post Office which had belonged to John Gaddes.

Ex Post Office, 2023 (Terry Ford)
Four old Post Office gargoyles merged 2019 (Terry Ford)

One of the many characters in the pub was Erasmus Bottle also known as Dave Walker a former BBC man who used to give humorous and interesting talks in the Steamboat.

2023 bar (Terry Ford)
2023 bar (Terry Ford)
Side room 2023 (Terry Ford)
Back room 2023 (Terry Ford)

Between 2008 and 2018 it won the Local CAMRA Pub of The Year 8 times! In 2020 Kath Brain became Licensee.

It is a Grade II listed building. The Steamboat is still a great pub now.

2023 (Terry Ford)

British Newspaper Archives
Licensing Records
Terry Ford
Trade Directories

Ron Lawson, Sunderland Antiquarian Society
South Tyneside Libraries
Terry Ford

error: This content is protected.