Richard Walton was licensee of the Highlander in 1827 in 1834 he called it the “Old Highlander”.

It was rebuilt in 1878 and was a contender for the longest bar in South Shields.

From the 1930s it was a Truman’s pub, it underwent alterations in 1936.


It closed in the mid 1960s it then became a shop.

From about 2010 it was Vision Express, it is unused now.

Sources:
British Newspaper Archives
Licensing Records
Terry Ford
Trade Directories
Photos:
Shields Gazette
South Tyneside Libraries
Terry Ford